Furthur Use of some prepositions
- a) They left home at dawn.
- b) I reached home at night.
- c) He is now at home.
- d) They came at noon.
Similarly- (at school, at the door, at a distance, at present, at war etc. )
- e) He left school at 12. (when 12.)years old)
- f) He was then [dash] work.
- g) The examination is [dash] hand (near)
- h) There is a beggar standing [dash] the door.
- i) He can see better [dash] a distance.
- j) I could not know him [dash] first sight.
- k) The train ran [dash] full speed.
l)He could not finish the work [dash] a setting.
- m) He sold the thing [dash] a loss.
- n) He bought the goods [dash] taka 200.
- o) Pure milk is rare [dash] present.
- a) They travelled by boat/rail/car etc.
- b) He came by air/land/water.
- c) They work [dash] day or [dash] night.
- d) He sent a letter [dash] post or [dash] hand.
- e) We informed him [dash] letter or [dash] telephone.
- f) Eggs are sold [dash] the dozen.
- g) He sat[dash] me
- h) We paid [dash] cheque.
- i) He knows me[dash] name.
- j) He is older than you [dash] 5 years.
- k) It is four P. M.[dash] my watch:
- l) We defeated them [dash] two goals to one.
- m) Can you finish the work [dash] tomorrow?
- n) The man died [dash] accident.
o ) The teacher pulled him [dash] the ear.
- p) I did it[ dash] mistake.
- a) I am speaking for my class.
- b) She cried out [dash] fear.
- c) He was silent[dash] shame.
- d) We heard a cry [dash] help.
- e) He ran away [dash] life.
- f) The house is [dash] sale.
- g) Hope [dash] the best, prepare [dash] the worst.
- h) Plant a new tree [dash] every tree you cut down.
- i) What is Dhaka famous [dash]?
- j) He did the job [dash] nothing.
- k) He was sent to prison [dash] stealing.
- i) They are the passengers [dash] Khulna.
- m) The girl is tall [dash] her age (enough tall compared with her age.)
- n) In the desert [dash] miles and miles there is no house.
- o) He is not getting ready [dash] school.
- p) They voted [dash] him.
- a) He is [dash] danger.
- b) They dry fish [dash] the sun.
- c) I did this [dash] his presence/ absence.
- d) I am [dash] difficulty.
- e) His party was [dash] power.
- f) We write [dash] black ink.
- g) Cut the apple[dash] two.
- h) He lived [dash] luxury.
- i) People [dash] general are ignorant of health rules.
- j) They were [dash] love.
- k) It is a novel [dash] three parts:
- l) Do you know the man [dash] white dress?
- m) The books were packed [dash] bundles.
- n) You may pay the amount [dash] part.
- o) He was talking a [dash] loud voice.
- p) You should pay[dash] advance.
- q) He is young[dash]years but old[dash]
- r) He will come [dash] September.
(in despair, in doubt, in wonder, in public, in secret, in private, in fun, in tears, in writing)
- a) We met him on the road.
- b) He was[dash] the way to Mymensingh.
- c) Mahdi went there [dash] duty.
- d) Dhaka is[dash] the Buriganga.
- e) He lives [dash] a small income.
- f) He said this[dash] oath.
- g) This story is based[dash] fact.
- h) He fainted and fell [dash] to the floor.
- i) He retired[dash] a small pension.
- j) He bought the machine [dash] credit.
- k) His father brought a car[dash]
- l) He came here[dash]business.
- m) This is payable [dash] demand.
- n) He gave a lecture [dash] Shakespeare.
- o) There was a big home [dash] the main road.
- p) He is coming [dash] Monday.
- q) He is [dash] our committee.
- a) When do you go to bed?
- b) He sang [dash] the harmonium.
- c) What is he [dash] you?
- d) He rose [dash] high rank.
- e) I was sitting with my feet[dash] the fire.
- f) This is [dash] my liking.
- g) He is a secretary[dash] the MD.
- h) Japan is[dash] the east of Bangladesh.
- i) Mother sang her baby[dash] sleep.
- j) It is a quarter[dash] six.
- k) Do not start until the lights change from red [dash] green.
- l) The fruit is sweet [dash] the taste.
- m) He tore the letter [dash] pieces.
- n) This picture is true[dash] life /nature.
- o) It was[dash] my advantage.
- p) The house was[dash] fire
- a) He holds a post [dash]
- b) I do not like to work [dash] him.
- c) The case is now[dash] trial.
- d) The criminal is[dash] sentence of death.
- e) The building is [dash] construction.
fj India [dash] the Mohgals was very prosperous.
- g) How long can you stay [dash] water?
- h) Your application is [dash] consideration.
- i) This is a road [dash] repair.
- j) The cat is[dash] the table.
- k) We passed [dash] many bridges.
- l) Fish move[dash] water.
- m) He is an officer[dash] the rank of captain.
- n) We found ten acres of land[dash] paddy.
- o) This is a matter [dash] discussion.
- a) We were flying [dash] the clouds.
- b) The sun rose[dash] the horizon.
- c) The temperature has been[dash] the average recently.
- d) It weighs [dash] or over ten tons.
- e) His conduct is always [dash] suspicion.
- f) The sky is [dash] the earth.
- g) A soldier should value honour [dash] life.
- h) Do not live [dash] your means.
- i) The applicants must be[dash] 21 years of age.
- j) He is[dash] meanness and deceit.
- k) He is now[dash] fifty.
- l) There is nothing in this shop[dash] Taka 200/-
- a) Spread a cloth over the table.
- b) The birds flew[dash] my head.
- c) Tie a piece of cloth[dash] the top of the pitcher.
- d) He held an umbrella [dash] my head.
e ) We had a pleasant talk [dash] a cup of tea
- f) They climbed [dash] a wall.
- g) The river is [dash] so miles long.
h ) He spoke for [dash] an hour.
i ) The wires [dash] the streets are dangerous.
j ) Mr. Khan is [dash] you in the office.
- k) He is famous all [dash] the world.
- l) He ruled [dash] a vast empire.
- a) Public opinion was against this proposal.
- b) We were going[dash] the current.
c j They voted[dash] him
- d) He hit his head[dash] the wall.
- e) It is an injection[dash] rabies.
- f) Place the ladder[dash] the wall.
- g) He was leaning[dash] a pillar,
h ) The rain was beating[dash] the wall.
i ) She was married[dash] her will.
j ) Take precaution[dash] fire.
- a) It is a coat[dash] two pockets.
- b) The hills are covered [dash] snow.
c ) A baby[dash] no clothes came here.
Before/By/Within: ('Before & by' to denote a point of time & 'within' period of time)
- d) You must return by 6 p.m. (Not after six).
- e) You must come back before 6 p. m. (Any time before six)
- f) You must come back within an hour (Not before).
In/After ('In' is used for future action & 'after' is for past action)
They will return in a week.
He returned after a week.
In time/On time: (in time = not late, early enough, On time = On schedule, just time)
We reached the station in time.
The plane took off on time.
Fill in the gaps with prepositions from the box:
- They reached the destination [dash] noon.
- The steamer was going[dash] the current.
iii. Do you like tea [dash] sugar?
- A good teacher teaches[dash] example.
- Is he now [dash] the room?
- The leader is speaking [dash] his people
vii. The plan flew[dash] our house.
viii. There is nothing new[dash] the sun.
- When do you go[dash] bed?
- Is Mr. Hossain a teacher[dash] the staff?