Furthur Use of some prepositions:
- a) They left home at dawn.
- b) I reached home at night.
- c) He is now at home.
- d) They came at noon.
Similarly- (at school, at the door, at a distance, at present, at war etc. )
- e) He left school at 12. (when 12.)years old)
- f) He was then [dash] work.
- g) The examination is [dash] hand (near)
- h) There is a beggar standing [dash] the door.
- i) He can see better [dash] a distance.
- j) I could not know him [dash] first sight.
- k) The train ran [dash] full speed.
l)He could not finish the work [dash] a setting.
- m) He sold the thing [dash] a loss.
- n) He bought the goods [dash] taka 200.
- o) Pure milk is rare [dash] present.
- a) They travelled by boat/rail/car etc.
- b) He came by air/land/water.
- c) They work [dash] day or [dash] night.
- d) He sent a letter [dash] post or [dash] hand.
- e) We informed him [dash] letter or [dash] telephone.
- f) Eggs are sold [dash] the dozen.
- g) He sat[dash] me
- h) We paid [dash] cheque.
- i) He knows me[dash] name.
- j) He is older than you [dash] 5 years.
- k) It is four P. M.[dash] my watch:
- l) We defeated them [dash] two goals to one.
- m) Can you finish the work [dash] tomorrow?
- n) The man died [dash] accident.
o ) The teacher pulled him [dash] the ear.
- p) I did it[ dash] mistake.
- a) I am speaking for my class.
- b) She cried out [dash] fear.
- c) He was silent[dash] shame.
- d) We heard a cry [dash] help.
- e) He ran away [dash] life.
- f) The house is [dash] sale.
- g) Hope [dash] the best, prepare [dash] the worst.
- h) Plant a new tree [dash] every tree you cut down.
- i) What is Dhaka famous [dash]?
- j) He did the job [dash] nothing.
- k) He was sent to prison [dash] stealing.
- i) They are the passengers [dash] Khulna.
- m) The girl is tall [dash] her age (enough tall compared with her age.)
- n) In the desert [dash] miles and miles there is no house.
- o) He is not getting ready [dash] school.
- p) They voted [dash] him.
- a) He is [dash] danger.
- b) They dry fish [dash] the sun.
- c) I did this [dash] his presence/ absence.
- d) I am [dash] difficulty.
- e) His party was [dash] power.
- f) We write [dash] black ink.
- g) Cut the apple[dash] two.
- h) He lived [dash] luxury.
- i) People [dash] general are ignorant of health rules.
- j) They were [dash] love.
- k) It is a novel [dash] three parts:
- l) Do you know the man [dash] white dress?
- m) The books were packed [dash] bundles.
- n) You may pay the amount [dash] part.
- o) He was talking a [dash] loud voice.
- p) You should pay[dash] advance.
- q) He is young[dash]years but old[dash]
- r) He will come [dash] September.
(in despair, in doubt, in wonder, in public, in secret, in private, in fun, in tears, in writing)
- a) We met him on the road.
- b) He was[dash] the way to Mymensingh.
- c) Mahdi went there [dash] duty.
- d) Dhaka is[dash] the Buriganga.
- e) He lives [dash] a small income.
- f) He said this[dash] oath.
- g) This story is based[dash] fact.
- h) He fainted and fell [dash] to the floor.
- i) He retired[dash] a small pension.
- j) He bought the machine [dash] credit.
- k) His father brought a car[dash]
- l) He came here[dash]business.
- m) This is payable [dash] demand.
- n) He gave a lecture [dash] Shakespeare.
- o) There was a big home [dash] the main road.
- p) He is coming [dash] Monday.
- q) He is [dash] our committee.
- a) When do you go to bed?
- b) He sang [dash] the harmonium.
- c) What is he [dash] you?
- d) He rose [dash] high rank.
- e) I was sitting with my feet[dash] the fire.
- f) This is [dash] my liking.
- g) He is a secretary[dash] the MD.
- h) Japan is[dash] the east of Bangladesh.
- i) Mother sang her baby[dash] sleep.
- j) It is a quarter[dash] six.
- k) Do not start until the lights change from red [dash] green.
- l) The fruit is sweet [dash] the taste.
- m) He tore the letter [dash] pieces.
- n) This picture is true[dash] life /nature.
- o) It was[dash] my advantage.
- p) The house was[dash] fire
- a) He holds a post [dash]
- b) I do not like to work [dash] him.
- c) The case is now[dash] trial.
- d) The criminal is[dash] sentence of death.
- e) The building is [dash] construction.
fj India [dash] the Mohgals was very prosperous.
- g) How long can you stay [dash] water?
- h) Your application is [dash] consideration.
- i) This is a road [dash] repair.
- j) The cat is[dash] the table.
- k) We passed [dash] many bridges.
- l) Fish move[dash] water.
- m) He is an officer[dash] the rank of captain.
- n) We found ten acres of land[dash] paddy.
- o) This is a matter [dash] discussion.
- a) We were flying [dash] the clouds.
- b) The sun rose[dash] the horizon.
- c) The temperature has been[dash] the average recently.
- d) It weighs [dash] or over ten tons.
- e) His conduct is always [dash] suspicion.
- f) The sky is [dash] the earth.
- g) A soldier should value honour [dash] life.
- h) Do not live [dash] your means.
- i) The applicants must be[dash] 21 years of age.
- j) He is[dash] meanness and deceit.
- k) He is now[dash] fifty.
- l) There is nothing in this shop[dash] Taka 200/-
- a) Spread a cloth over the table.
- b) The birds flew[dash] my head.
- c) Tie a piece of cloth[dash] the top of the pitcher.
- d) He held an umbrella [dash] my head.
e ) We had a pleasant talk [dash] a cup of tea
- f) They climbed [dash] a wall.
- g) The river is [dash] so miles long.
h ) He spoke for [dash] an hour.
i ) The wires [dash] the streets are dangerous.
j ) Mr. Khan is [dash] you in the office.
- k) He is famous all [dash] the world.
- l) He ruled [dash] a vast empire.
- a) Public opinion was against this proposal.
- b) We were going[dash] the current.
c j They voted[dash] him
- d) He hit his head[dash] the wall.
- e) It is an injection[dash] rabies.
- f) Place the ladder[dash] the wall.
- g) He was leaning[dash] a pillar,
h ) The rain was beating[dash] the wall.
i ) She was married[dash] her will.
j ) Take precaution[dash] fire.
- a) It is a coat[dash] two pockets.
- b) The hills are covered [dash] snow.
c ) A baby[dash] no clothes came here.
Before/By/Within: (‘Before & by’ to denote a point of time & ‘within’ period of time)
- d) You must return by 6 p.m. (Not after six).
- e) You must come back before 6 p. m. (Any time before six)
- f) You must come back within an hour (Not before).
In/After (‘In’ is used for future action & ‘after’ is for past action)
They will return in a week.
He returned after a week.
In time/On time: (in time = not late, early enough, On time = On schedule, just time)
We reached the station in time.
The plane took off on time.
Fill in the gaps with prepositions from the box:
- They reached the destination [dash] noon.
- The steamer was going[dash] the current.
iii. Do you like tea [dash] sugar?
- A good teacher teaches[dash] example.
- Is he now [dash] the room?
- The leader is speaking [dash] his people
vii. The plan flew[dash] our house.
viii. There is nothing new[dash] the sun.
- When do you go[dash] bed?
- Is Mr. Hossain a teacher[dash] the staff?
Adjective Adverb Articles Capitalization Clauses Common Mistake ConditionalSentence English Writing HTML+Css Idiom&Phrases IELTS LinkingWords Narration Noun Old Questions Other Ways to Say Parts of speech Preposition Pronoun Reg Files Sentence Snippets Speaking Synonyms Tag Questions Tense The Calender Transition Words Verb Voice